adrianamae

A Threefold Cord
Julie Bozza
Think Of England
K.J. Charles

Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1)

Hell & High Water (THIRDS Book 1) - Charlie Cochet 2.5 rating

I believe that I'm not the target audience for this book. If you like comic books, superheroes or superagents, The Avengers, The X-men and it's mutants, and especially Agents of Shields, you will like this book.

I didn't.

I do like my shifters, paranormals, steampunk and Sci-fy, especially if they are combined with romance, but this story wasn't that. It read more like an action movie script with techie language, and some funny banter. Only after 50% of the story was I able to like the characters because mostly I had found Dex annoying and Sloan a prejudiced assh*le, and the villain was more a caricature than anything else.

But still, after the 50% mark magic happened. Dex became outrageously funny. The scene with the hand puppet had me rolling. Sloane became more vulnerable, and truly protective of Dex. The scene were he shifted, protecting Dex as a Jaguar, laying beside him, clenched my heart. There's some good writing and characterization here, but at the end of the day, this was not the book for me. I am too old, not techie or geeky enough. And though I have loved Ms. Cochet's stories before, this one just wasn't for me. I didn't even like the ending. I'm sorry.